Today's cars, light trucks, and sport-utility vehicles are high-tech marvels with digital dashboards, oxygen sensors, electronic computers, unibody construction, and more. They run better, longer, and more efficiently than models of years past.
But when it comes to repairs, some things stay the same. The following tips should help you along the way:
Do your homework before taking your vehicle in for repairs or service.
- Read the owner's manual to learn about the vehicle's systems and components.
- Follow the recommended service schedules.
- Keep a log of all repairs and service.
When you think about it, you know your car better than anyone else. You drive it every day and know how it feels and sounds when everything is right. So don't ignore its warning signals.
Use all of your senses to inspect your car frequently. Check for:
- Unusual sounds, odors, drips, leaks, smoke, warning lights, gauge readings.
- Changes in acceleration, engine performance, gas mileage, fluid levels.
- Worn tires, belts, hoses.
- Problems in handling, braking, steering, vibrations.
- Note when the problem occurs.
- Is it constant or periodic?
- When the vehicle is cold or after the engine has warmed up?
- At all speeds? Only under acceleration? During braking? When shifting?
- When did the problem first start?
Once you are at our location, communicate your findings.
- Be prepared to describe the symptoms.
- Carry a written list of the symptoms that you can give us.
- Resist the temptation to suggest a specific course of repair. Just as you would with your physician, tell us where it hurts and how long it's been that way, but let the technician diagnose and recommend a remedy.
Stay involved. . . Ask questions.
- Ask as many questions as needed to fully understand your repair. Ask for laymen terms if needed.
- Don't rush the technician to make an on-the-spot diagnosis. You may ask to be called and apprised of the problem, course of action, and costs before work begins.
- Before you leave, be sure you understand all shop policies regarding labor rates, guarantees, and acceptable methods of payment.
- Leave a telephone number where you can be called.
What People Say About Us
Could not be more pleased with the service here. These guys are very thorough. They pay attention to what you ask for, and take the time to communicate clearly what they find, and what they suggest. Also, I love the fact that they are honest about what they know for sure, and what they can't know for sure without further investigation (taking things apart). Professional, knowledgeable, and honest.
We have found Fritz, Steven and Alex friendly, and helpful in keeping our 1996 Honda on the road. They are competent and efficient and prices are reasonable. They make the extra effort in finding the parts needed, that others may not have in stock. When we have to leave the car for the day, it is nice we can borrow their loaner car. the staff care for our car, as if it was their car. We do not trust our car with anyone else, but Precision Import.
We brought our Acura in recently for its 80K mile check. As usual our car was worked on immediately, and within an hour, the service was completed and we were on our way. We have been taking our Honda's and Acura's to Precision Import for 20+ years because we appreciate their efficient, expert, and honest service. They will tell you what work needs to be done now and what may be coming up but not needed immediately. They never try to push unnecessary service items as many dealers are prone to do. We highly recommend them.
I've gone to these guys 3 times and they treated me right. Very transparent about the work that they are doing.
I've been using the shop for years and will continue to do so until Fritz hangs it up. Auto repair shops in general have a bad reputation for ripping off customers but I have no hesitation in handing my keys over and tell them to fix whatever they need to. Most recently I was contacted after the repair to make sure everything was okay. I don't get this treatment from my doctor. My folks now take their cars here too and are very happy as well.
Great service at reasonable prices.